Uncategorized

Electrical Safety: What You Should be Doing

What most of us know that electricity and water don’t mix, therefore, things like relaxing in a bathtub with a space heater sitting on the ledge is something we are smart enough to never do. But there are some things that may not seem so common sense when it comes to electrical safety at home, such as what to do if an outlet or light switch feels warm to the touch, or if it’s okay to be using a light bulb that is a higher wattage than suggested for a light fixture. Either of these things can actually be a potential fire hazard even though they may seem like nothing to be overly concerned about. This list below of both what to do and what not to do will help keep you and your home safe from preventable electrical mishaps. Not doing electrical safety measures at home can lead to serious hazards if problems arise you can call electrician Woking to fix the situation.

Home Safety Electricity Do’s

The number one thing you can do to keep your home safe when it comes to electrical issues is to conduct an inspection of your home’s electrical components. Once a year, perhaps while doing your regular home inspection, follow through this checklist below:

Electrical Cords: Check every electrical cord in a room for any damage and looseness. If it’s damaged, replace or repair the cord. For loose plugins, it may be the outlet. Once plugged back in, if it still won’t hold tightly you may need to repair the outlet or hire electrician Wimbledon to do so.

Extension Cords: If you’re using an extension cord, make sure that it is not running along an area where it may cause a trip hazard, such as a doorway. Also, it should not be placed under a carpet as it may become a fire hazard should something go wrong with it. If you have multiple extension cords being used, consider adding more outlets and/or circuits instead of using extension cords.

Kitchen and Bathroom: Make sure that there is no standing water near any outlets or cords and check any ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets. To see if it is working properly, there is a test button. Instructions are here.

Space Heaters: Many electrical home fires are caused by portable or stationary space heaters. The biggest issue is the dust and dirt that accumulates inside them. They need to be cleaned and checked regularly—make sure they are unplugged before doing any cleanup. The next highest reason they are so dangerous is because they are too close to things that will burn, such as furniture, bedding, and clothing.

If you encounter anything that needs your attention as you do your walk-through, remember to unplug and/or shut off the power to it via the circuit breaker before looking into it any further. Doing safety measures inside your house is better than not paying attention to it according to electrician Guildford.